This is a brief overview of The Kidney Cancer Association (KCA), a charitable organization made up of patients, family members, physicians, researchers, and other health professionals from around the world. It is the world’s first international charity dedicated specifically to the eradication of death and suffering from renal cancers. It is also by far the largest kidney cancer charity, with members in more than 100 countries. We fund, promote, and collaborate with the National Cancer Institute (NCI), American Society for Clinical Oncology (ASCO), American Urological Association (AUA), and other institutions on research projects. We educate families and physicians, and serve as an advocate on behalf of patients at the state and federal levels in the United States and globally.
The medical information on this site is freely adapted from the publication “We Have Kidney Cancer” that is available free of charge elsewhere on this website. The authors include members of our organization’s medical advisory and nurse boards (also listed on this site).
KCA was founded in 1990 by a small group of patients, including Eugene P. Schonfeld, Ph.D., and medical doctors in Chicago, Illinois. It is a nonprofit charity incorporated in the State of Illinois. It has also been designated as a tax exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service code. Donations to the Association are tax deductible. Our federal taxpayer identification number is 36-3719712. The Association conducts business under various state registered identities.
- Paula E. Bowen, Retired College Administrator, New York
- Ronald M. Bukowski, MD, Bukowski Consulting LLC, Ohio
- Noah Buntman, Operations Program Manager, Apple, California
- Jamie Graves, Internal Communications Director, BP America
- Craig DePriester, Consultant, California
- James Larkin, PhD, Consultant Medical Oncologist, Royal Marsden Hospital, London and Sutton
- David Perry, Esq., Attorney, K & L Gates LLP, California
- William J. Perry, CEO, The Perry Strategy Group, California
- *Denise L. Richards, Actress, California
- Lois Stulberg, Community Leader, Michigan
- *Nicholas J. Vogelzang, MD, Comprehensive Cancer Centers, Nevada
- Christopher G. Wood, MD, FACS, Department of Urology, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Texas
Officers and Staff
- Lisa M. Bemboom, J.D., President
- William P. Bro, Vice President and Secretary
- Jennifer Fitzgerald, Accounts Payable & Receivable
Our IRS Form 990 may be viewed at www.guidestar.org our annual report and audited financials are also available online. The Kidney Cancer Association is a member of the International Federation of Kidney Foundations and is accredited by the Health on the Net Foundation, and Independent Charities of America.
The KidneyCancer.org website does not accept advertising. Affiliated sites, including KidneyCancer.com, may accept advertising. The Kidney Cancer Association logo with a stylized slash through the word cancer, is a registered trademark (®) of the Association and may not be reproduced in any form without prior written authorization. IKCC®, representing KCA’s International Kidney Cancer Congress is also a registered trademark and may not be reproduced in any form without prior written authorization.
This website’s principal editor and webmaster is William P. Bro, who may be contacted by clicking the hyperlink above. Unless specifically disclaimed, website content is presumed to be the work product of the Association’s web team. This site is intended primarily as a resource for patients and medical professionals and the information presented is periodically reviewed by the Association’s medical and scientific advisors. It is not a substitute for the medical advice provided by your physician.
Patients should contact a medical professional before considering any treatment for cancer. This site makes no claims with respect to the efficacy of any therapy, surgical intervention, or any other treatment modality, including diet.